SMITH CENTER, Kan.— During its spring grant cycle, the Smith County Community Foundation awarded over $50,000 to 14 projects throughout the Smith County area. The following organizations received funding:
- Kensington Senior/Community Center, Inc., $1,049 to purchase a new refrigerator for Department of Aging Nutrition site.
- Smith County 4-H Council, $3,300 for the replacement of the 4-H arena panels.
- American Legion Fred Marran Post #166, $700 to update sound equipment at the American Legion.
- Smith County Memorial Hospital, $2,748 to help bring SAVE (Suicide Awareness Voices of Education) to the community for an educational event open for all.
- City of Smith Center, $12,175 towards the purchase of equipment and labor from Table Rock Alerting Systems to upgrade the Emergency Outdoor Warning System.
- USD 237, $401.28 to purchase two LifeVac school kits for the elementary and junior/senior high school.
- U.S. Center Foundation, Inc., $1,632 to upgrade the landscaping rubber mulch and 8 rubber timbers at the U.S. Geographic Center Park.
- Country View Village, $1,500 to purchase outdoor lighting fixtures, mounting poles and hardware, and installation at Country View Village.
- City of Smith Center, $3,350 to purchase 3 new radar units for the Smith Center Police Department.
- City of Lebanon, $2,780 to purchase 4 foot by 4 foot snowflake post decorations to be placed on main street.
- City of Smith Center, $14,000 to make improvements to equipment for the safety and usability of the driving range at the Smith Center municipal golf course.
- Oak Creek Christian Church Community Association, $2,118 to purchase sheet rock and materials and paint for the new sheet rock for the interior of the church.
- Smith County Child Development Center, Inc., $4,000 to purchase toys, room dividers, wagons, and blue tooth speakers for the Smith County Child Development Center.
- U.S. Center Foundation, Inc., $1,000 to pay Richard Renner for the Vodvill Variety Show.
This round of grants was made possible by the following funds at the community foundation: the Dane G. Hansen Community Grant Fund, the Smith County Action Fund, the Health Needs of Smith County Fund, the Kansas Health Foundation Fund for Smith County, and the Kelling-Tomlinson Family Donor-Advised Fund.